[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Vs. PCIe tuner card?

Brad Benson bbenso1 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 19:19:20 UTC 2009

> If your HDHR tuner is in a place where you can conveniently use it to
> recieve IR signals, you aren't using it to its full potential.  Mine is
> tucked away in the laundry room with the rest of my networking stuff.  One
> of the great advantages of the HDHR is you don't have to run antenna cables
> to your TV.

I'd say that's debatable.  If your HDHR tuner is in a place where you CAN'T
conveniently use it to receive IR signals then you aren't  using it to its
full potential.  One of the great advantages of the HDHR is you don't have
to mess with setting up a separate IR receiver for your frontend.

Also, one of the great advantages of MythTV is that you don't have to run
antenna cables to your TV.  My backend server is tucked away in the basement
with the rest of my networking stuff.  The only thing I need at the TV is a
frontend machine, power and ethernet.

Frankly, one of the great advantages of the HDHR is that you can
conveniently place it wherever you want - with the frontend if you need the
IR capabilities or hidden away somewhere else if you don't need the IR but
don't want to/can't run coax cables to the TV location.

Brad