[mythtv-users] vdpau and MythMusic visualisations

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Thu Aug 13 19:04:59 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 2:43 PM, Dan
Wilga<mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu> wrote:
> One thing to remember, though, is that the different visualizations have
> vastly different CPU requirements. I find Goom to be the worst

The CPU requirements for Goom will vary based on the screen
resolution.  To run goom at 1920x1080 is going to require a lot more
than running it at 640x480.

If I recall correctly, Goom also has a pixel doubling option, so even
if the video resolution is 1920x1080, you can run goom with an
effective resolution of 960 x 540, which is much more doable on modest
hardware.

I haven't actually tried, but the workstation I'm typing this on right
now has a 2.53 GHz Core2 Duo and a display resolution of 5120 x 1024
(quad head SXGA) and I'd imagine full screen Goom would be quite
noticeably sluggish.

Eric