[mythtv-users] OT -- Raid Card

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Thu Aug 13 17:45:27 UTC 2009

James Oltman wrote:
> Just be sure to get good quality hardware/cables.  I'm currently
> suffering through an array loss due to either faulty PCI cards, cables,
> or possibly a bad drive/s.  I had a drive go out in my RAID 5 and sent
> it to Seagate for an RMA.  They took their sweet time getting one back
> to me.  The very same day the replacement arrived, the array took
> another dump.  I wasn't able to get it to resync.

This is the inherent danger with RAID 5.  When I plan a RAID 5 array I
try to figure in the cost of keeping one spare drive on hand, so the
array doesn't have to be vulnerable while I wait for an RMA.  For arrays
where I might not want to swap drives right away (e.g., at work, where
it might mean coming in on a weekend), I use RAID 6 or RAID 5 with a hot
spare.