[mythtv-users] mythtv on osx problems

Jarom McDonald jarom_mcdonald at byu.edu
Thu Aug 13 15:56:38 UTC 2009

On 08/13/09 05:46, Fred Squires wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 2:44 AM, Jarom McDonald<jlmcdonald at gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> AFAIK, it doesn't for digital (i.e. the signal going into an HDHR in
>>> the US).  You have to set them up manually.  I use phpmyadmin to
>>> access the database.
>>>
>> The only thing you should have to manually add is the XMLTVID, so that
>> running mythfilldatabase will be able to get the right channel listings
>> mapped to the right frequencies. The MythTV wiki has detailed examples of
>> this, but basically, here are the steps:
>>
>> 1) Add the HDHR as a tuner in mythtv-setup
>> 2) Create a listings source, and set it to "no grabber"
>> 3) Associate the HDHR with the empty listings source, and click the button
>> that says "scan for channels." Make sure you choose the appropriate scan
>> type (i.e. broadcast, high cable, etc.) for whatever you attached to the
>> HDHR.
>> 4) Once it finds the channels, exit mythtv-setup. Don't yet run
>> mythfilldatase.
>> 5) Start the backend.
>> 6) Get the XMLTV ID for each of the channels that were found through the
>> scan. If you're in the US, you'll get these IDs from Schedules Direct (those
>> from outside the U.S. are far more knowledgeable than I on how to get
>> listings). You can use phpmyadmin as the previous responder did to enter
>> them directly into the DB; I've always found it's much easier, however, to
>> use MythWeb's channel editor (it shows all the channels that the HDHR found,
>> and lets you paste in the XMLTV ID, type in the call number, the virtual
>> channel number, etc. without being overwhelmed by some of the DB fields like
>> "atsc major," etc.)
>> 7) Shut down the backend, start up mythtv-setup again, and change your
>> listings source that earlier said "no grabber" to reflect where you'll be
>> getting your listings data from.
>> 8) Exit mythtv-setup. NOW run mythfilldatabse
>>

> Adding my listing source from the start worked fine for me, I didn't
> have to add a blank source. I'm using an antenna, though. Adding a
> blank source and finding the xmltv id's probably only needs to be done
> if your channels identify themselves with the wrong callsigns or
> something.

This makes sense; I'm getting clear QAM channels from my cable company,
so the HDHR picks them up as the "real" channels (134.0, 135.13, etc.)
but the listings data are all mapped to what the OTA channels are (2-1,
4-11, etc.) Maybe I'll try setting an antenna up on the HDHR's second
tuner, just to see what happens when it does its channel scan.

--
Jarom McDonald
Assistant Research Professor, College of Humanities
jarom_mcdonald at byu.edu