[mythtv-users] 0.22 && Storage Groups

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Thu Aug 13 14:25:32 UTC 2009

> It'd be really nice if part of the solution was a way to plug in a USB
> hard drive to a frontend and play media off of it.  Its a large
> function that most other media boxes do that myth doesn't (as far as I
> can make it work).

I've never done that, but I've done something similar, and I think it
might work for a USB hard drive just as well. I've got a lot of videos
that I've archived to DVDs to save on space. I've then got autofs
installed and setup so that it will automatically mount/unmount the
DVD whenever it is accessed/idle. I've then got its mount point listed
as one of the sources for mythvideo. Finally, I've got mythvideo setup
to work off of the live directories (instead of having to explicitly
prescan before it can see everything). When I go into mythvideo, I
always see a folder for the videos on the hard drive. If I have a DVD
inserted, then I will also see a second folder for the dvd. I go into
that and can see everything on the DVD, and can play my videos right
from there.

Not sure if the same trick would work with mythmusic. For that, I just
keep all my music on the network drive at all times, since they don't
take up nearly as much space.

--
Ron
Ronald Frazier Photography - http://www.ronfphoto.com/