[mythtv-users] Mac Mini Video Acceleration Question (h.264)

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Aug 13 14:23:20 UTC 2009

On Aug 13, 2009, at 10:08 AM, doug at fawnanddoug.com wrote:

>> On Aug 13, 2009, at 6:54 AM, doug at fawnanddoug.com wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I have a Mac Mini (Intel core 2) that runs a MythTv frontend
>>> (ubuntu).  It
>>> can playback video from my HDHomeRun (which I believe is 1080 mpeg2)
>>> just
>>> fine.  It can also playback video from my HD-PVR (which I believe is
>>> h.264) at 720 with no problems.  However, when I pump the resolution
>>> on
>>> the HD-PVR to 1080 the mac mini starts stuttering.  Even if I lower
>>> the
>>> bitrate, the mac mini can't keep up.
>>>
>>> Are there any options to help accelerate the video for the mac mini?
>>> Specifically for h.264?  If not, is there anything emerging that I
>>> could
>>> help out with development (I'm a programmer but I have little video
>>> experience)? I saw a link to VAAPI
>>> (http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/vaapi) but I'm not sure if
>>> my
>>> chipset is supported or if it will help.
>>
>> VDPAU is the hardware acceleration you seek. This means running a
>> development version of mythtv or the hackported (sorry Jean-Yves)
>> version of 0.21 with VDPAU implemented.
>>

> Hi Brad,
>
> Thanks for the quick response.  My understanding was that VDPAU only
> worked on nvidia video cards

And S3 cards with an S3 binary driver, apparently.

> and that the Mac Mini has an intel chipset.

Would have been good to mention that part in your first post. :) (I
assumed that was the case though).

> Is there a way to get VDPAU working with the Mac Mini?

Not on yours, no.

However, stay tuned... There *will* be an acceleration option to make
that thing handle 1080p h.264 soonish...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com