[mythtv-users] OT -- Raid Card

James Oltman cnlibmyth at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 13:47:12 UTC 2009

> Or clench your teeth, suck up your pride (, make a backup) and use this
> to move to MD Raid... That way he'll never have RAID card replacement
> issues again! (Any card(s) capable of supporting the (separate) drives
> will do!)
>

> --FP

Just be sure to get good quality hardware/cables.  I'm currently suffering
through an array loss due to either faulty PCI cards, cables, or possibly a
bad drive/s.  I had a drive go out in my RAID 5 and sent it to Seagate for
an RMA.  They took their sweet time getting one back to me.  The very same
day the replacement arrived, the array took another dump.  I wasn't able to
get it to resync.
Unfortunately, the space in the array was costly enough enough that I
couldn't buy a backup solution.  I'm facing the possibility that my data is
lost.  I'm currently running SystemRescueCD using ddrescue to make an image
of my drives before I go thrashing them to get the array to re-sync.  Some
of you may be asking, "How is he saving the image of the drives if he said
that he didn't have the cash to purchase backup HDDs?"  The answer is I've
brought them into work and am dumping them up to a server with 7TBs of
space.  They'll live there for the time being.  I just hope I can get it
working again.
However, having said all this, I'm still glad I went with mdadm.  It "just
works" in other linux distros.  I've had array re-sync issues in the past
and it's always come through for me.  But there's nothing you can do about
hardware issues.

Jim