[mythtv-users] Done with ATI

Petr Stehlik pstehlik at sophics.cz
Thu Aug 13 09:15:36 UTC 2009

Jean-Yves Avenard píše v Čt 13. 08. 2009 v 18:51 +1000:
> 2009/8/13 Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net>:
> >
> > So how do you do it?
>
> It's a matter of finding the right modeline.
>
> With my latest TV I've been lucky, using the EIA/CEA-861B values is
> perfectly accepted...

This may be slightly unrelated but still on-topic: I got a Thomson
HD-Ready LCD TV (1366x768 native resolution) and had a real hard time
searching for a nVIDIA graphics card that would not do a scary overscan
(on the HDMI input):

http://joy.sophics.cz/tmp/gf9500.jpg

I was almost giving up on getting a perfect pixel-precise picture with
VDPAU (= GF8xxx or better) like I was used to with my old GF 7300 (=
VDPAU incapable):

http://joy.sophics.cz/tmp/gf7300.jpg

After trying out five or six cards (8400, 8500, 2x9400, 9500, 9600,
almost all of them made by Gigabyte) I finally happened to find a 8600
GT card (made by ASUS) that generates perfectly aligned picture with no
overscan (like the GF7300 above).

What I am trying to say here is that if your TV is a bit picky (like
mine) you need to be lucky (or persistent) to get the "right" card.

BTW, I have no idea why only one of seven cards worked and don't know
what Gigabyte did wrong and ASUS did right. I asked in the nVIDIA forum
twice and never got any response so this will probably remain a mystery
(to me at least).

Petr