[mythtv-users] vdpau and MythMusic visualisations

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Thu Aug 13 04:55:54 UTC 2009

>> Does that mean that the visualisations are renderer limited rather than
>> CPU limited? I was of the impression that the OpenGL aspects of the GPU
>> helped but a fair amount of CPU was also involved hence my questioning
>> the
>> performance of a single core Atom.
>>
>> Payday next week so I need to know whether I order the Zotac or not!!
>
> VDPAU and OpenGL are two different APIs for the same GPU. The Zotac board
> has an NVIDIA GPU that accelerates both 3d (w/ OpenGL) and video (w/
> VDPAU).
>
> The VIA board that the other poster talked about does not have reasonable
> 3D
> acceleration.

I realise that - I still have no clue though as to whether the
visualisations in MythMusic are constrained by CPU or GPU.

The Nvidia ION 9000 series core might be the best thing since sliced bread
but if the visualisations require a 4gig quad core to be smooth then I'm
not going to have a lot of luck with a single core Atom on a Zotac board!!

Cheers

--
Robin Gilks