[mythtv-users] No HDMI audio

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 04:42:41 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/8/13 John Haywood <john at jhit.com.au>:
> I have the same board as you , connected via HDMI to a Sony Bravia, and,
> even though my /etc/asound.conf is set to:

I too use a Sony Bravia (46X3100)

I do not have any /etc/asound.conf
> I don't have ALSA:hw:0,3 as an option in MythTV. What i do have is
> Alsa:<iec958> (or similar - not at home right now).

that's for SPDIF, not hdmi ...

> If I try to use this, I get a staccato stuttering white noise out of my
> speakers, but only on HD channels. If I use Alsa:Default, I get no sound at
> all on said HD channels, so there must be some other parameters which I have
> set wrong somewhere.

if you're using my myththv packages for ubuntu, it's all pre-configured for you.
Or use this patch:
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/6502

It's then very easy to setup mythtv in the settings screens.

I made a mistake earlier, then entry for HDMI use in mythtv is:
ALSA:plughw:0,3

for mplayer I use ao=alsa:device=hdmi (set in ~/.mplayer/config)

I've found that to get sound working, you must play in alsamixer with
the IEC958 like mute/unmute and then bang shazam, the sounds comes on
; never understood why.

Now I have to admit, my PC is only set to use mythtv and mplayer, so I
don't care about not having sound in Firefox.. Heck, I don't even have
a keyboard plug on my various frontends)

Jean-Yves