[mythtv-users] vdpau and MythMusic visualisations

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Thu Aug 13 02:45:12 UTC 2009

>> Accepting that VDPAU does wonders for various video formats, I'd like to
>> know if the accelation performed by the GPU extends to the
>> visualisations
>> in MythMusic.
>
> Not the VDPAU portion...
>
>> For example my Via Epia SP13000 is fine for playing SD video but the
>> screen updates at 1 frame per second with Goom if I'm lucky. If I were
>> upgrade to say a single core Zotac board, would I get a better
>> performance?
>
> ...but the rendering performance of an nVidia card is definitely going
> to beat the snot out of anything out of Via's camp.

Does that mean that the visualisations are renderer limited rather than
CPU limited? I was of the impression that the OpenGL aspects of the GPU
helped but a fair amount of CPU was also involved hence my questioning the
performance of a single core Atom.

Payday next week so I need to know whether I order the Zotac or not!!

Cheers

--
Robin Gilks