[mythtv-users] 0.22 && Storage Groups

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 16:03:16 UTC 2009

2009/8/12 Nasa <nasa01 at comcast.net>:
> Howdy,
>
> I was just reading the svn commit page and noted the following comment:
>
> This is as intended. You can have Storage Groups (and ultimately we will support *only* Storage Groups) or you can have the local mounts, but we will not be supporting both at once. The recent change to scanning behavior enforces the use of Storage Groups when they exist.
>
> This leds me to a number of questions (mostly because I'm really slow and have been confused on this point for a while)....
>
> 1. What exactly are the benifits of storage groups?

It avoids the need to create LVM or RAID arrays to increase your
storage capacity.
You can add multiple drives to a storage group and mythtv will balance
their usage.
You can manually move files between locations within a storage group
without needing to modify the database.
I'm sure they're many more.

> 2. How is it better than just using symbolic links?
without storage groups all recordings have to be within a single
directory.  That can be a symlink to anywhere you want but mythtv
won't follow any nested links to other locations.

> 3. How do you go from local mounts to storage groups without having to rescan everything again?

When I did it I didn't make any notes which normally means it was easy
enough not to need to.  I think I created a storage group and then
added my existing recording location to it.