[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Vs. PCIe tuner card?

Tom listmail at athenet.net
Tue Aug 11 22:49:24 UTC 2009

Perhaps this question has been done to death, but I'm really torn about the
question of whether to build a Myth box with a pair of tuner cards in the
PCIe slots, or plug it into a HDHomeRun box.

I haven't picked the motherboard or processor yet, so I'm somewhat neutral
there. I might use a second NIC and put the HDHomeRun on its own private
network, if that would help. Pity it has only the 100mb interface; perhaps
there would have been some small performance gain if it were gigabit. I
will be using the same box as a back end and front end in one box.

Does the HDHomeRun box limit me in some way? I would like to record one or
two ATSC OTR programs at once, perhaps while playing back a prior
recording. I have no cable or satellite. I'd be recording in SD for now,
looking to moving to HD down the road.

 From what SiliconDust says on their website, their box does it all. Had
that been the experience of those of you that have used it with MythTV?

Does the HDHomeRun box take commands for setting a tuner to a specific
channel, or does one have to fool around with an infrared solution?

I kinda like the idea of being bus independent, seeing as I got an analog
capture card some years ago (PCI) and now looking at a future where there
aren't that many PCI bus slots in most new PCs. Maybe I should have got the
box next to it on the shelf, the one that speaks USB. Who knows.

Anything that a PCIe card (or two) really brings to the party that I won't
get with the HDHr?

Thanks mucho in advance for any advice.

-Tom

-----
684. [Criticism] On an occasion of this kind it becomes more than a moral duty
to speak one's mind. It becomes a pleasure.
tpeters at nospam.mixcom.com   (remove "nospam") N9QQB (amateur radio)
"HEY YOU" (loud shouting)    WEB: http://www.mixweb.com/tpeters
43° 7' 17.2" N by 88° 6' 28.9" W,  Elevation 815',  Grid Square EN53wc
WAN/LAN/Telcom Analyst, Tech Writer, MCP, CCNA, Registered Linux User 385531