[mythtv-users] LIRC in Mythbuntu 9.04

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Tue Aug 11 14:18:54 UTC 2009

Harry Devine wrote:
> I had a controller failure on my MythTV box, so I ordered a new SATA
> card and took the opportunity to upgrade to Mythbuntu 9.04.  I'm
> trying to get LIRC working like I had in 8.10 and I'm having some
> trouble.  I had saved off my config files and put them back under
> /etc/lirc after using the Control Center to enable a Custom
> transmitter (I have an IR Blaster from irblaster.info).
>
> I think that I have everything where its supposed to be, but the lirc
> daemon won't start.  When I try to start LIRC manually, I see "Unable
> to load LIRC kernel modules.  Verify your selected kernel modules in
> /etc/lirc/hardware.conf".  I have REMOTE_MODULES in
> /etc/lirc/hardware.conf set to "lirc_dev lirc_serial" and
> REMOTE_DEVICE set to "/dev/lirc0".  I notice that I don't have a
> /dev/lirc0, so I'm assuming that's my problem.
> What should I do to get the IR receiver to be seen under /dev to get
> my remote working?
>
> Thanks,
> Harry

I just wanted to let everyone know that I got this working.  I had the
kernel modules loading properly, but the remote still wasn't working via
irw.  I had to create a new ~/.lirc/mythtv file (I hadn't saved my
original), yet it still wasn't working.  I noticed an error in
/var/log/syslog that said "invalid quoting" when it was trying to load
/etc/lircd.conf.  After some Googling around, I found a thread on
ubutuforums that said the the include line in /etc/lircd.conf needed to
have double-quotes around the file name, so it had to be include
"/usr/share/lirc/remotes/hauppauge/lircd.conf.hauppauge".

After I did this and restarted lirc, everything worked.  I figured I'd
post this in case anyone else has a similar issue.

Harry