[mythtv-users] Howto redirect sound from Windows Box to Mythbuntu Box?

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 04:59:04 UTC 2009

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 13:37:27 +0930, Iain Buchanan <iaindb at netspace.net.au>
wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-08-11 at 12:25 +1000, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
>> Oddball Question here :)

>> The mythbuntu 9.04 box with the webcam is hooked up to a surround sound
>> amp. I'd really like to be able to speak via the amp to the pets so I
can
>> freak them out :) issue commands and generally keep us all entertained.
>
> haha, your pets will soon develop a complex thinking that you're
> "everywhere"!!

Heh!

Johnny's idea was good - I installed twinkle on the mythbuntu server -
bonus, it can be run in a command line mode, then made a direct IP - IP
connection using Ekiga from my windows box. Seems to work perfectly, the
dogs and cats bolted upright from their *deep* sleep and were hunting all
over the place, checking out the ceiling etc.

Little buggers are too smart for me though :) after a few minutes they just
went "meh - Daddy's being a twonker again ..." and settled back to sleep on
the couch :)

So experiment a success and I can report that the 2 dogs and four cats
spend all their time sleeping during the day, with the dogs making the
occasional kitty litter raid. I did have hopes of more stimulating activity
but its better than separation anxiety. I guess I can really give a burglar
the shits now if I see them :)

Next step - some sort of remote controlled device. I did see a wireless
mobile pan&scan camera - high chance of ending up ripped to pieces though
:(

--
Lindsay Mathieson
http://blackpaw.jalbum.net/home/