[mythtv-users] problem with frontend - stops responding to commands

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Aug 10 18:42:27 UTC 2009

Manuel McLure wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 7:30 PM, Phil Wild<philwild at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am running mythbuntu 8.10 amd64 and am using JYA's release repo
>> 2:0.21.0+fixes-20918-openglvdpau2-0ubuntu2
>>
>> My frontend has become increasing unreliable in the last few weeks and
>> I am unsure as to why.
>>
>> Yes I have left this past two minutes, probably as long as five. I
>> have checked with irw that my remote is being received by ssh to the
>> frontend. On the keyboard, nothing appears to be responsive. Not even
>> ALT-TAB works. I have not tried killing X yet with CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE.
>
> What Nvidia driver are you using? I found that when I installed 190.18
> suddenly things started being flaky - the remote started taking 10-15
> seconds to accept commands, and the EPG would take sometimes minutes
> to show up. Today I switched to 185.18.31 (which appears to have the
> VDPAU fixes I was looking for when I installed 190.18) and it appears
> to have fixed those problems.

And another data point: have you upgraded your kernel? I updated my
Fedora 10 mythbox, intending to install the nvidia 190.18 driver, but
stopped before doing that, and re-installed the 180.50 (or so) driver
version. (I forgot I hadn't downloaded the 190.18 file to the mythbox!).

And I found I had blank screen hangs when attempting to exit from a
playing video, or delete the video. Nothing in the mythfrontend log file
but a 30 second gap, and nothing showing up under top...

 From a comment elsewhere, it *may* be the kernel.
I'm on 2.6.27.19-170.... on the mythbox. I have seen nothing similar on
the office desktop running 2.6.27.25-170...

Geoff