[mythtv-users] Trouble playing OTA HD content on WDTV devices

Dennis Cartier dennis.cartier at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 17:07:40 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Travis Tabbal <travis at tabbal.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 7:28 AM, Dennis Cartier <dennis.cartier at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Before I set out to modify the script I decided to play one of the
>> non-linked files directly just to see how well it played the OTA HD content.
>> That is where the wheels fell off.It does not seem to play the files at
>> all?? I would have thought that they are just mpeg2 files and should
>> therefore play. Are they not? Does anyone have any experience getting these
>> to play on a WDTV?
>>

> I don't have a WDTV, but I believe that the ATSC streams from an HDHR are
> transport streams. It's possible that the WD device doesn't know how to deal
> with those. Try doing a lossless transcode on one recording and see if that
> helps. It should convert it into the more usual program stream format.

Thanks Travis. That clue was just what I needed to get to the bottom of it.
It turns out the WDTV does play Transport Streams just fine. Once I had
confirmed that, I traced the issue back to the NFS setup on my Mythbuntu
box.

Now to fix the NFS and then tweak the script ...

Dennis

--

“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.

Hunter S. Thompson, US journalist (1939 – 2005)