[mythtv-users] Trouble playing OTA HD content on WDTV devices

Dennis Cartier dennis.cartier at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 13:28:44 UTC 2009

I thought I would try using my WDTV device (with the WDLXTV firmware for
network operation) to be a temporary frontend. I found the mythrename.pl
script and set about getting the recorded content exposed to the WDTV over
NFS. The content was recorded from a HD Homerun ATSC tunner.

The first problem that I ran into was that the symbolic links the script
makes are not really suited for the way the WDTV mounts the NFS shares. WDTV
wants to always mount things under a common mount point
(/tmp/media/usb/[mount name]). I figured this would simply be  a minor bit
of work to modify the script to create relative links that take into account
the mount structure of the WDTV device.

Before I set out to modify the script I decided to play one of the
non-linked files directly just to see how well it played the OTA HD content.
That is where the wheels fell off.It does not seem to play the files at
all?? I would have thought that they are just mpeg2 files and should
therefore play. Are they not? Does anyone have any experience getting these
to play on a WDTV?

TIA

Dennis