[mythtv-users] overscan problems with nvidia 8400 GS

Dale Pontius DEPontius at edgehp.net
Sun Aug 9 11:24:07 UTC 2009

jedi wrote:
> <deletia>
> It all pretty much boils down to only really allowing PnP configuration
> and completely ignoring manual configuration.
>
> TVs also have a bad habit of outputing gibberish pnp information.

In other words, "just works" is great until it doesn't.  These days
"just works" philosophy frequently has deprived you of the basic tools
to "make it work."  I don't mind Linux taking on "just works"
attributes, I dislike Linux abandoning "make it work" capabilities.  A
more subtle case of that is HAL, where it either "just works", or you
have to become an expert.  Every HAL fix I've seen is obvious - in
hindsight.  But getting to that fix from very little knowledge is a
daunting prospect.

Dale Pontius