[mythtv-users] Radeon cards and MythTV (was: HVR-1800 can't ...)

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Sun Aug 9 22:35:35 UTC 2009

On 08/09/2009 04:28 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
> [|]01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV630 [Radeon HD
> 2600 Series]
> Is what my lspci says..

In my book, Radeon generally equates fail for MythTV usage. There are
both open and close drivers for them, and neither is fully functional.
The open drivers are rather lacking in key areas beneficial to MythTV
(Xv acceleration and/or decoding offload), and the binary drivers
haven't worked with the latest version of X for the better part of a
year now. I haven't personally used anything beyond the X1000-series
cards, which actually work at least reasonably okay with the open-source
radeon drivers now. They're still less usable than either nVidia (with
their binary driver) or Intel graphics in my experience though.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com