[mythtv-users] Macs and HVR-950s

Kichigai Mentat kichigaimentat at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 18:00:19 UTC 2009

Hello all. About eight or so months ago, my MythTV system decided it wanted
to stop working. At the time, I wasn't really able to afford replacement
parts, and given the questionable future of TV in the area (the people I was
living with were thinking of moving to FiOS, so I didn't know if I'd need to
spend money on a new card, so I thought I'd want and see what happens) I
didn't put any money into repairing the machine.

Now I'm considering a return. For a recent internship, I bought a WinTV
HVR-950Q to use with EyeTV on my MacBook Pro. The card's plenty useful, but
EyeTV is annoying and limited. It's EPG is half worthless, it only loads
eight hour blocks of data from ATSC data, and if you want data from the
Internet it's $20/mo to TV Guide (with no instructions on how to subscribe).
The software is a little unstable, and has other annoyances. Long story
short, I want back in to MythTV.