[mythtv-users] backend system won't detect a drive

Kevin Wambsganz wambs at verizon.net
Sat Aug 8 13:00:56 UTC 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Johnny
Sent: Friday, August 07, 2009 10:38 PM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: [mythtv-users] backend system won't detect a drive

I got a couple of identical 250 GB Hitachi SATA drives from another
system. They were working fine there. When I put them into my backend
one drive works great and the other one is not detected at all by the
BIOS or Linux. The system hangs for a minute or so during boot while
it is scanning that port and then it says nothing was detected. I
tried the drive on a couple of ports and with different cables, but
nothing helped.

I thought the drive was bad, so I threw it into a 3rd computer and it
was detected fine. I was able to read and write a lot of data off the
drive without problem. I ran Hitachi's Drive Fitness Test software and
the drive passed all tests, including their low level format, and
there are no SMART errors. So the drive seems fine. I just can't get
my backend to recognize it. I have a Asus M3N78-EM in my backend. I
updated to the latest BIOS, but that didn't help.

I don't have much use for the drive elsewhere but would love to have
it in my backend. I am stumped at this point. Any ideas?