[mythtv-users] Looking for reliable, inexpensive HD front end only box?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Fri Aug 7 16:15:16 UTC 2009

Dave Richardson wrote:
>> Then there is VDPAU for hardware decoding, and while this lets you get
>> by with a comparatively simple machine, there are caveats.  It can only
>> handle mpeg2, h264, and VC1.  XviD/DivX/mpeg4asp are not supported,
>> although those are usually only used for standard definition content,
>> and as such are fairly trivial to decode.
> I'm building my ION right now, had intended to use VDPAU on it as a
> frontend machine.  I have content in lots of formats...  DVD and ripped
> DVD, .AVI, various MPEGs.  Can you link to or elaborate more on your
> point?  Am I about to be disappointed with VDPAU??  Maybe I
> mis-interpreted your point?

Straight DVD content will play through VDPAU, as will DVDs you have
transcoded to a supported form of h264.  Anything you have in mpeg4asp
(divx and xvid are forms of this) will not be supported by VDPAU, and
will revert back to libavcodec.  However the standard ION chip should be
powerful enough for standard definition mpeg4asp.