[mythtv-users] mythbackend stability on SMP systems

David George david at thegeorges.us
Fri Aug 7 04:24:45 UTC 2009

On 08/06/2009 10:31 PM, David Engel wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 08:49:49AM +0930, Iain Buchanan wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2009-08-06 at 17:11 -0500, David Engel wrote:
>>
>>> I would now like to make use of that extra CPU power, so I'm curious
>>> how stable mythbackend, both 0.2 and trunk, is these days on SMP
>>> hardware.
>>>
>> I'm running a single front-end back-end together on a P4 HT 3.0GHz
>> laptop using a USB DVB-T HD tuner.  I've never had any problems with
>> segfaults, although I'm still setting it up so it doesn't get too much
>> use yet.
>>

> With only one tuner, your chances of having a problem are fairly low.
> In my experience, the most vulnerable times were when multiple tuners
> and jobs were starting or stoping at the same time.
>
> No one has responded with problems so perhaps things have gotten
> better and I should give it another try.  Thanks to all who responded.
>
> David

I have been running exclusively SMP kernels since the non-SMP/SMP kernel
merge back in 2.6.16 (or was it 2.6.18).  Anyway, I had a few issues
with SMP back when I working on 2.6.9, but since 2.6.18 everything has
worked well, except for a couple of regressions in the XFS filesystem
somewhere in the early 2.6.20's I believe.  I switched to JFS, but I've
heard XFS is working well these days also.

I run many tuners.  Since switching to SMP kernels exclusively I have
run (2) Air2PC ATSC cards with (3) PVR-250, until I swapped them out for
(2) HDHomeRun with (2) PVR-500.  I have just started reconfiguring my
backend again keeping the (2) HDHomerun and using HD-PVR instead of the
PVR-500's.  All of this was on the primary backend.  I have also run
with Fusion HDTV PCI and USB adapters, pchdtv HD2000 and HD3000,
PVR-150, and PVR-USB2 and probably others that I am forgetting.
Needless to say I hammer on it pretty good.

This is all currently running trunk 21049.  I tend to update trunk every
couple of weeks unless I see something really interesting and I update
sooner.

--
David
http://pvrcompanion.com