[mythtv-users] Clone MythTV HDD

Christopher X. Candreva chris at westnet.com
Thu Aug 6 03:45:42 UTC 2009

On Tue, 4 Aug 2009, wf_myth_user at online.nl wrote:

> I would like to clone the entire 750GB hdd to the 2TB hdd.
> I tried the following Tools/Boot disk.
> Image for Linux 2.41(Everything seemed to go fine But I could not boot the
> backend with the new HDD)
>
> CloneZilla(Everything seemed to go fine But I could not boot the backend
> with the new HDD)

First I've always used gparted to clone a disk. There is a Live CD available
that makes it easy.

However, whatever you use to clone, afterwards you need to install the
bootleader. I use Redhat / Fedora so the process may be different. However
what I do after cloning a disk is

1) Plug the new disk where the old disk was, so it will be /dev/sda or
whatever

2) Boot from the Rescue disk. On fedora it will mount the hard disk system
under /mnt/sysimage

3) chroot /mnt/sysimage

/sbin/grub-install /dev/sda

I don't know what Ubuntu uses for a rescue disk.