[mythtv-users] MythWeb/SchedulesDirect - everything's a rerun

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Aug 5 22:47:29 UTC 2009

On 08/05/2009 03:33 PM, steve.lawrence wrote:
>> As for why you may not disagree with Tribune's version of "new", here's
>> an example.  "The Daily Show"  places the same episode at 10pm, 12am and
>> 10am the next day.  Tribune's data only says the 10pm showing is new.
>> Personally, I consider them all the same "new" episode.  For recording
>> conflict resolution, it's important for apps to detect duplicates using
>> the internal episode ID and not just a "new" flag or description (which
>> for The Daily Show, is usually generic, but that's a different issue).
>> I believe MythTV does this.
> I should like to pipe up and say 'I'm having problems with this, too'.
>
> For instance : MSNC has a 'news' show with Rachel Maddow.
>
> Category:  	Talk
> Type: 	series (EP01083561)
> Original Airdate: 	2008-09-08
> Program ID: 	SH010835610000
> Hosted by: 	Rachel Maddow
> Length: 	1 hr
> Recording Group: 	Default
> Playback Group: 	Default
>
> its original air date is shown as 2008-09-08 : Which I understand from the
> explanation is the first episode of this show. This one is flagged as a
> 'rerun' - One assumes by the lack of a 'new' flag from SD - Which I
> understand is done because it's a 'news' show.
>
> However it is, in fact a new show.
>
> If I look at that show in mythweb it tells me the airdates for this show
> are :
>
> Wed Aug 5, 2009, 09:00 PM
> Wed Aug 5, 2009, 11:00 PM
> Thu Aug 6, 2009, 02:00 AM
> Thu Aug 6, 2009, 09:00 PM
> Thu Aug 6, 2009, 11:00 PM
> Fri Aug 7, 2009, 02:00 AM
> Fri Aug 7, 2009, 09:00 PM
> Fri Aug 7, 2009, 11:00 PM
> Mon Aug 10, 2009, 09:00 PM
> Mon Aug 10, 2009, 11:00 PM
> Tue Aug 11, 2009, 02:00 AM
> Tue Aug 11, 2009, 09:00 PM
> Tue Aug 11, 2009, 11:00 PM
> [snip the rest]
>
> So, it clearly thinks it's the SAME show. One imagines that the three
> showings per day ARE the same show, but the ones on the following day are
> not.
>
> By your explanation I should have some kind of ProgramID stored

You do.  As shown above:

Program ID: 	SH010835610000

>  which
> identifies this particular show and could distinguish it from the next
> day's new show (despite the lack of a 'new' flag on the xml?)

Nope.  The fact that this is a series ("Type: series") and the programid
ends with '0000' means that it's a "Generic" episode--i.e. we (meaning
TMS and, therefore, Myth) has no idea which episode will actually be aired.

> I currently have to set recording of this program as :
>
> Record this program in this timeslot every day.
>
> Which nets me a recording every evening. But I'd rather be able to 'record
> new episodes' and leave the scheduling of it down to Myth.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/153872#153872

Mike