[mythtv-users] Clone MythTV HDD

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Aug 4 21:25:16 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 04 August 2009 15:20:41 wf_myth_user at online.nl wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have a Mythbuntu 8.10 backend running with 1 750 GB HDD.
> I would like to replace the hard disk for a 2TB model.
>
> I would like to clone the entire 750GB hdd to the 2TB hdd.
> I tried the following Tools/Boot disk.
> Image for Linux 2.41(Everything seemed to go fine But I could not boot the
> backend with the new HDD)
>
> CloneZilla(Everything seemed to go fine But I could not boot the backend
> with the new HDD)
>
> Ghost 2003(Did not work)
> Acronis True Image Home(Did not work)
> Ping 3.00
>
> Does anybody know I tool to reliable clone a entire hdd.

You could just use dd to make a bit-for-bit copy of the disk, but this would
then include things like the partition table. If you are moving to a larger
drive the partition table would still have the smaller partition sizes.

You could try it and then just re-do the partition table. I've done this in
the past and it worked OK.

Sometimes the simpler things, like dd, are best.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org