[mythtv-users] Questions on PXE booting a frontend

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Tue Aug 4 14:30:05 UTC 2009

>This draws 30-35W or so, and I'm happy with that.
>
> (Thinks: upgrade this box to a cheap Atom/Ion board sometime? maybe.)

If you are thinking merely for the power savings, it won't be worth
it. At 35 watts, you will use about 300 kwh/year. At a price of 10
cents / kwh, that machine is only costing you $30/year. Even if you
could get a machine that consumed zero watts and cost only $150 you
are looking at 5 years to break even. I've read about some wall wart
servers that cost $100 and consume about 10 watts, which is almost 4
years to break even too. Who know what you'll want to do with your
network before 5 years is up.

--
Ron
Ronald Frazier Photography - http://www.ronfphoto.com/