[mythtv-users] Improving Power Consumption on ASUS M3N78 Pro NVIDIA 8300 Chipset

David Knight dlknight at sdf.lonestar.org
Tue Aug 4 12:08:00 UTC 2009

On Mon, August 3, 2009 9:26 pm, Mark Garland wrote:
> Hi,
>
> "it is only recording and not displaying any video".
> Bit drastic, but have you considered disabling the onboard video?
>
> You could do it
> a) temporarily - that'd tell you if it was the GPU taking all the power
> b) permanently - depending on the other uses of the box.  Perhaps you
> could
> VNC in if you just need it occasionally.
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> MG
> -----
> "The most overlooked advantage of owning a computer is that if they foul
> up
> there's no law against whacking them around a bit."

Hi Mark,

   I will attempt this just to see if it affects the power consumption
(will probably have to set the box to bootup with Initlevel 3 to stop
it launching X :).  I don't think however that this is possible as I
though a PC HAS to have a display device? Isn't this something the BIOS
checks, I will report back if I fail or succeed :)

However does anyone have any tips for configuring the NVIDIA driver? I'm
running the latest BETA which promised the following:

"Added support for configuring the GPU PowerMizer Mode on GeForce 8 or
later GPUs with multiple performance levels via nvidia-settings and
NV-CONTROL."

Yes I have set the required settings in xorg.conf (under Device section):

Option         "RegistryDwords" "PowerMizerEnable=0x1; PerfLevelSrc=0x3333"

Cheers

Dave K.