[mythtv-users] Comcast Cable encrypted channels

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Aug 4 02:34:25 UTC 2009

On Monday 03 August 2009 20:06:41 Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 08/03/2009 07:32 PM, Jim Goddard wrote:
> > I would love to cancel the cable altogether, but I like a couple
> > programs on comedy central and sci-fi.
>
> Vote with your wallet and cancel cable and go with OTA.  And, if you can
> convince a few million of your closest friends to do the same (and they
> can convince...), we might actually fix the real problem (the
> cable-/satellite-company DRM infection).***
>
> Then, cut out the middle man (the cable co) and spend that $90/mo (or
> whatever) on buying the TV shows on DVD or Blu-Ray.
>
> ***And, no, canceling cable and stealing programming from the Internet
> will /not/ fix the problem--after all, winning the war will require
> honor and sacrifices.  :)  (Not that I'm saying you planned to do so.
> I'm only making this statement in a general context.)

There are several sources on the net that are legal and not "stealing", or at
least I thought there were.

Is Hulu, Cackle, cbs.com, Netflix Watch Instantly et al "stealing"? I'm pretty
sure at least Netflix is legal, at least I pay for it. I try to be legal, but
I suspect nobody really knows what all those licenses really say or mean.

I'd love to see Myth support Netflix, but I doubt it will happen. I haven't
figured out how to do it without a Windows machine (albeit virtual) or
proprietary hardware. I mean watching the streams, not the queue manipulation
that Myth can do now.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org