[mythtv-users] Quad core, or stay with dual core?

plainfaceboy plainfaceboy at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 3 22:35:22 UTC 2009

>> I thought it was the older 9600 that had the TLB bug, and the newer
>> 9650's were ok?
>
> I believe you're correct.
>
>> Either way, there are a few quad cores I could afford, but I'm not
>> sure;
>> a) whether I'd see a lot of performance benefit
>
> Not really. Almost any modern dual-core proc is sufficient, unless
> you're expecting to be able to commflag several programs at once, or
> playing back h.264 hdtv, relying on your cpu to do all the lifting.
>
>> b) which quad core is the best (value and performance) for a media/
>> myth system?
>
> Probably an AMD one, but if it were me, I'd go for a low power
> consumption dual-core over a quad-core.
>
>> I could for example put one of the new phenom II chips into the
>> M3n78 Pro (AM2+) motherboard with a BIOS update, so would only need
>> to spend extra on the cpu, which I'd be happy to do if it gets me a
>> system that performs better and lasts longer. I'm not sure whether
>> the increased power/heat/noise would be practical??
>> Thanks for help.
>
> Do you have any actual performance problems now? What exactly is the
> problem you're trying to solve by getting new hardware?

No 'problems' as such, as this is a new build!
Had been thinking of the 5050e, but in the last 12 months there are things
like the new amd quad cores, and even 'energy efficient' phenom IIs
(905e)...a fair bit more expensive, but wasn't sure if they were worth it.

I'd be happy to stick with my original spec (below), if it will do what I
need -record >=1 channel, maybe watch HD TV in future at same time etc, and
generally use as media centre, playing music etc etc. - especially if it
keeps costs significantly down.
I realise my most expensive bits are case/PSU, so didn't then want to then
skimp on CPU if there was something better now available!

ASUS M3N78 Pro
AMD 5050e
Silverstone GD01-MXR (with the display)
4GB Ram
PSU (Corsair HX520 or something similar)
1TB drive (will probably be storing music/photos on network drive)
WinTV-NOVA-T-500
WinTV-NOVA-S-Plus (or WinTV-HVR-4000)

Cheers.