[mythtv-users] Questions on PXE booting a frontend

Glen Dragon gdragon at jetcom.org
Sun Aug 2 02:57:30 UTC 2009

On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 9:14 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:

> On 08/01/2009 09:04 PM, Jim Stichnoth wrote:
>
>> coexist on the same network?  I would prefer the home router to handle
>> most DHCP requests and the Linux server to handle just the PXE-related
>> requests for this frontend, so that e.g. my wife doesn't lose DHCP for
>> her laptop computer when the Linux server is down.
>>
> 2. Can the DHCP service in a home router and a Linux DHCP/PXE server
>
> Having two DHCP servers on the same network is problematic, and most
> routers don't have enough bits exposed to set up things like pxe booting.
> There may be ways around it, but not any that I'm personally aware of.

For the DHCP server on the network, the best bet is if you can run a custom
firmware on your router.. I run Tomato on mine, and it works great with the
pxe configuration.

Prior to the router w/ tomato, I just ran dhcpcd on my myth server, and
disabled it on the router.  In a lot of cases that's more reliable than the
stock firmware implementation on the router.

You really cannot run two dhcp servers on the same network... *bad *stuff
happens.