[mythtv-users] S-video out on Nvidia 6200 series cards?

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Thu Apr 30 17:01:55 UTC 2009

Mark Knecht wrote:
> <snip>
> I have an older Asus Pundit-R machine that has been a mythfrontend for
> one TV in our house. The machine is old and noisy and I'd like to get
> rid of it. I'm Gentoo based and not happy with ATI support so I'd like
> to find an inexpensive N-Vidia card that supports S-Video out to see
> what I can do with it.
>
> Longer term I will likely have to build a new backend server this year
> with the switch to digital. None of my digital stuff works yet - I
> have an HDHR and would like to get a couple or 1394-based STB to
> replace the PVR-150s - but none of that works yet. When I build the
> new server I might put this card in it and let it operated as a
> frontend also. Current TVs here are all standard def. No high def and
> no immediate purchase plans.
>
> - Mark

If you plan on keeping the machine around a while why not go for a 8xxx
or 9xxx card? Both of my 8400GS cards have s-video out. I don't watch
much SD content these days, but some posters say the VDPAU deinterlacers
are superior to any others available in Myth. When I had an 8400
connected to an SD TV all I had to do was disconnect the monitor and
leave only the s-video cable and the nvidia binary drivers picked it up
and used it. I had a blank screen until X started, but I had ssh for any
problems that arose.

I haven't checked the price of the 6200 card, but my 8400 was ~$30 US
when I bought it.

Cheers,
James