[mythtv-users] User Job: MPEG --> MP4

Michael Craven mcraven at zone4solutions.com
Thu Apr 30 15:20:52 UTC 2009

I'm a bit confused about user jobs versus mythtranscode... I've read a
bunch of info on both options but most seem to be actually transcoding
when I just want to change containers and replace the original file. The
next step will be snipping commercials.

Basically, I'd like to move from the MPG file Myth is creating to an
MP4. I've used the following command line to accomplish this manually:

ffmpeg -i input.mpg -acodec copy -vcodec copy output.mp4

The MP4 file that results is playing everywhere I'd like but now I'd
like to do this automatically when a recording is completed and have to
file output.mp4 replace the original MPG in the storage directory and in
the recording database. Can mythtranscode accomplish this? (i.e. demux
the streams and remux into MP4) If not, I assume a user job is the
correct path but I'm not clear on how to replace the files in the myth
database at the end of the process. I'm not really functional in SQL.