[mythtv-users] 9.04 woes with Marvell 88E8056 NIC

Deyan mythtv at bektchiev.net
Thu Apr 30 07:33:47 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 8:32 PM, C.T. Paterson <i.adore.my.64 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was surprised, given that my math indicated gig-e should be plenty
> for 3 mpeg2 streams plus some internet downloading (a seeming
> worst-case scenario for my dual-tuner FE/BE), and investigation
> revealed some pretty bad network flakiness.
>
> I re-installed 9.04, and the flakiness continued before I even got
> going with my media, so I switched back to 8.10.  Media performance is
> now way better.
>
> I'd really like to investigate further, but my time (as well as my
> family's patience as I muck around and deprive them of TV) is limited.
>  Can anyone confirm the same problem, or is there any other specific
> data I can supply (preferably from running the liveCD)?  Otherwise, I
> just caution any with the same hardware...
>
> My mobo is an Asus P5K-VM; NIC data from an lshw follows...
>
>           *-network
>                product: 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
>                vendor: Marvell Technology Group Ltd.
>                physical id: 0
>                bus info: pci at 0000:02:00.0
>                logical name: eth0
>                version: 12
>                size: 1GB/s
>                capacity: 1GB/s
>                width: 64 bits
>                clock: 33MHz
>                capabilities: pm vpd msi pciexpress bus_master
> cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt
> 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
>                configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes
> driver=sky2 driverversion=1.22 duplex=full firmware=N/A ip=x.y.z.a
> latency=0 link=yes module=sky2 multicast=yes port=twisted pair
> speed=1GB/s

I bought the exact same board 18 months ago and promptly returned it
after a couple of days when I found out that the Marvell driver was
not working and did not want to wait for it to stabilize (even the one
that Marvell ships was buggy and was causing Kernel Oops...).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=13-131-187&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&SelectedRating=-1&PurchaseMark=&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&Page=1&Keywords=Linux

It was a great board on paper but sadly bad chipset for the network card.

--dejan