[mythtv-users] Numeric Input Garbled

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 18:11:21 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 1:48 PM, Jay Foster <jayf0ster at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I'm using Mythbuntu 8.10 (0.21-fixes).  When I attempt to enter numeric
> input in some of the Myth UI elements, I just get garbled text.  It looks a
> bit like a termcap escape sequence.  For example, if I type '5', 4 to 6
> characters will appear, something like "]xje4".  This only happens in some
> UI elements.  For example: entering a program title when setting up a manual
> recording, On the CD Import screen when trying to enter a Year.  Many Mythtv
> UI elements work correctly too, such as entering XMLTV IDs in the channel
> editor.  It is not random.  The UI elements that work always work, and those
> that don't never do.
>
> I only see this behavior with Mythtv.  All of my other applications seem to
> work fine.  Any ideas how to fix this?
>
> Jay

This is becuase by default, myth assumes you're trying to enter text with a
numerical remote control pad (as in enter A-Z with only 0-9 buttons).  To
handle this, they've implemented something like text messaging on a cell
phone, so you press #2 once for "A" twice for "B" etc. and about 10 times to
enter "2".   I've complained about this in the past (try entering the phrase
"1080P" using this method...) The best advice I received was to turn the
on-screen keyboard on, and then ignore it and type normally.  Seems like a
weak workaround to me, but that's the best way to do that with what the
dev's have implemented, and their priorities are such that nothing has been
done about it.  Such is life with an open source project for an non-coding
person.  It seems to me that coding the option to turn this "feature" on and
off wouldn't be that troublesome, but then you get into different plugins,
etc. and it gets more complicated.  Maybe it will work better in .22.

-Josh