[mythtv-users] VDPAU playback stuttering when XvMC playback is just fine?

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Tue Apr 28 07:25:20 UTC 2009

Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 10:38 PM, Dave Johansen <davejohansen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm using Avenard's VDPAU packages on a clean install of Mythbuntu
>> 9.04 with a GeForce 8200 and when I use VDPAU playback the video
>> occasionally stutters and the audio will drop out every once in a
>> while, but if I switch to the CPU-- playback profile using XvMC, then
>> it plays just fine. Do I have something setup incorrectly? Or is my
>> hardware just not up to the task or something?
>>
>> If it matters, I have the Bob 2x deinterlacer selected as the primary
>> deinterlacer in both setups.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dave
>
> I had a similar issue with my 8400GS. I was told to try and disable
> "Realtime priority" if enabled. Worked for me. Also make sure you have
> extra audio buffering turned on.

That's interesting. I had problems with MythTv before where
stuttering occurred when I was choosing the playback option
that most used hardware and least used the CPU. In my case,
it was SD playback on a VIA based board; use of xvmc-vld caused
stuttering, whereas xvmc or software decode was ok.

Also, if you don't use the "extra audio buffering" option, then
stuttering occurs at fades where the decode gets easy.

I think MythTv has a scheduling problem when frame decodes take
a very short time.

Paul.