[mythtv-users] Jaunty frontend performance on Intel 915/945

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Apr 27 14:53:25 UTC 2009

Ken Mandelberg wrote:
> I've upgraded a few laptops that from Ubuntu 8,10 to 9.04. These have
> either Intel 915 or 945 graphics chips. I'm running the mythtv trunk.
>
> The frontend performance has gotten much worse after the upgrade. The
> video is jumpy at 720p or 1080i where it wasn't before.
>
> I'm guessing that this is because of the Intel Xorg driver which moved
> from 2.4.1 to 2.6.3 in the upgrade. Both Intel chips use the overlay xv
> driver, and I made sure that XvPreferOverlay is on in xorg.conf. xvinfo
> confirms that the overlay (not textured) is the default xv port as on 8.10.
>
> Is there something else I'm missing. The performance is just too bad to
> use on 9.04 as is.

Were you using XvmC with the 2.4.1 series driver? XvmC was turned off
starting with 2.6.0 (iirc) and has not been turned back on. If you were
using XvMc you might want to try the later 2.5 series versions. And read
the driver man page very carefully as changes to the settings on
xorg.conf can make quite a difference to the performance.

Geoff