[mythtv-users] Enabling Xv on ATI HD 3200

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 04:58:17 UTC 2009

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 8:09 PM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:

> Eric Holt wrote:
>
>> Kirk, can you report back about if you are seeing any tearing or not?  I
>> purchased some new hardware about 8mo ago with that same onboard graphics
>> card to upgrade my Myth box with, and had to abandon the idea because I
>> could never get proper playback without tearing.  Last time I tried
>> (January-ish), I was still seeing tearing with the 'fglrx' driver.  So I'm
>> curious to see/hear if its improved.
>>

> Funny you bring this up. Yes, I am seeing some tearing but only in
> high-motion transitions. It was the next thing I was going to tackle. Just
> frustrating that Myth always seems to have "just one more thing..."

The typical path for a person with ATI graphics who cares about tearing is
to pull their hair out trying everything under the sun, then finally give up
and throw in an nvidia card.  In the meantime, they keep a futile eye on
Catalyst release notes, hoping that the linux vsync issues will someday get
resolved.  I'm sure if that ever happens, we will hear about it right away
on this list.

Jim (sad owner of 2 HD3200 motherboards)