[mythtv-users] Ethernet troubles.

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Apr 26 21:20:13 UTC 2009

On Sunday 26 April 2009 14:57:15 clemens at dwf.com wrote:
> > As others have mentioned, the SD2005 is a switch, not a router.  It's
> > also best used as a paperweight, not as a networking device.
>
> OK, there seem to be two pieces of information here.
> (1) that the LinkSys sd2008 has problems,
>
> To which I ask if I trash this router (or RMA it) what would you recommend?
> I need 1000Mbps, and only 4-5 ports.

I've had good luck with the D-Link DGS series, there are 5 and 8 port models.
They shut down unused ports, and reduce current on short cables, so they
are "green", though the power saved in a typical home environment is minimal.
They will do jumbo frames, something to look for in gigabit devices, but the
rest of your system has to be able to handle them too.

My demands on switches are minimal, others here might have better suggestions.

> (2) > The SD2005 is a switch, not a router.
>
> I have the feeling you are saying something important here, but Im not
> getting it.  It was always my impression that 'switches' were just smarter
> than 'hubs', and Ive always used the term 'routers' for both.

A router is much more complex than a switch or a hub, it essentially has a CPU
on board which can modify the packets in order to do things like NAT, and it
can also do SPI and other "smart" things like forwarding only certain types
of traffic, QoS and other things.

--
beww
beww at beww.org