[mythtv-users] Long delays with remote occasionally

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 05:06:08 UTC 2009

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 10:07 AM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 4:59 PM, Josh Mastronarde <jmastron at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> If you compile yourself, the patch is available in the ticket I filed:
>>  http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/6406.
>>
>> Josh
>
> Wow...I had seen this thread before and didn't really follow it.  I
> started encountering these remote/keyboard delays over the last few
> days after installing some upgrades on my Gentoo frontend...the only
> really significant one being an upgrade from xorg-server 1.3 to 1.5.3.
>
> I don't know if the upgrade was related or just a coincidence, but
> since that I've occasionally seen exactly what other describe.  I'll
> go to pause a recording (for example) and nothing would happen.  Like
> others here I first thought it was a remote issue until one time when
> it occurred when I was able to try the keyboard and discovered that
> the keyboard IO seemed to be blocked (or buffered or whatever) as
> well.  It can last as long as 30 seconds or more before suddenly
> reacting to the input.
>
> In my case this was always when watching DVB-T mpeg
> recordings....pretty much the only thing I use the internal player
> for.
>
> Last night I added your patch to the custom ebuild on my frontend and
> recompiled.  I'll see how it goes.  Quite an amazing find on your
> part...thanks!
>
> Tom

Bummer...I had my remote delay for like 20 seconds tonight even with
that patch installed.  It happened watching a recording of Grey's
Anatomy off ABC.  Not as bad perhaps as the times it occurred the
other day...but annoying.

I'm actually running 0.21-fixes rev 18314, but that change set 19222
shouldn't have any effect for me.  I'm running fluxbox and
xscreensaver.

Has anyone else seen any connection between this issue and xorg-server
1.5?  I never had this issue before.  I'm almost tempted to restore
the frontend to it's pre-graded state, but I really hate to.

Tom