[mythtv-users] Screen blanking when using mplayer for videos

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 23:52:06 UTC 2009

Using a frontend only machine with J-Y Avenard's patched mythbuntu to
make use of vdpau. When I use mplayer as my video player it blanks the
screen approx every 15 minutes and some poor sod has to get up and hit
the keyboard to bring the pic back. Needless to say FamilyAF is low.

I have disabled gnome-screensaver as I saw recommended somewhere with:

sudo chmod a-x /usr/bin/gnome-screensaver

(There didn't seem to be any other way to disable it).

Is there a sure-fire way to stop this happening? If the screensaver is
not doing it, what is?