[mythtv-users] Samsung PS50A550 and Asus M3N78-VM HDMI Sound (Debian MythtTV)

Jongi jongitech at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 19:23:08 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 6:53 AM, Doug Young <goofdad at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 5:12 AM, Jongi <jongitech at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2009-04-01 at 17:05 -0700, Doug Young wrote:
> > > Check out Allen's Digital Audio Howto
> > > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/AllensDigitalAudioHowto
> >
> > I have /var/lib/mythtv/.asoundrc that looks like the below on my Debian
> > install
> >
> >    pcm.!default {
> >        type hw
> >        card 0
> >        device 3
> >    }
> >
> > When I use mplayer, sounds comes through the TV with no problem. What do
> > need to set for the Internal player to play sound through the HDMI?
> >
> > I have gone into the frontend setup and changed ALSA:default to
> ALSA:hw:3.
> > Have I got that wrong?
>
> If you read Allen's Digital Audio Howto (link posted in my last
> message, quoted above), you'd see that you probably should put those
> settings in /etc/asound.conf
>
> Personally, the very settings you have are what was in my
> /etc/asound.conf, and it worked or everything except playing MP3's
> (due to bit-rate problems).  I changed it to the following (suggested,
> again, by Allen's Digital Audio Howto), configured mythtv as described
> in (have I said this enough times) Allen's Digital Audio Howto, and
> everything is great now ;-)
>
> $ cat /etc/asound.conf
>  pcm.!default {
>     type plug
>     slave.pcm "hdmi"
>   }
>
> --
> Doug

My ~/.asoundrc actually looks like so
  pcm.!default {
  type hw
  card 0
  device 3
  }

  pcm.!default {
  type plug
  slave.pcm "hdmi"
  }

But given that we are dealing with the mythtv user, the fact that it is in
~/.asoundrc should make no difference to the fact that Internal is not
playing sound - see http://wiki.debian.org/ALSA
I have changed the settings to reflect ALSA:hw:0,3 and still no sound in
Internal. I'll make the change to /etc/asound.conf to see what happens.