[mythtv-users] Poor HD Playback

Jay Foster jayf0ster at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 24 20:06:43 UTC 2009

> You can use the OpenGl Vertical sync only.  Actually
> that's considered
> by many to be the best method anyway.  The only reason
> I started using
> RTC was that I had some occasional freezes with OpenGL
> vsync if my
> screen saver came one during paused video.
>
> If you were to run Jean-Yves Avenard's versions with the
> new
> deinterlacer and the 2903 patch you'd be able to try either
> Bob x2 or
> the new Interlace x2.
>
> I've always found that Bob x2 doesn't have a problem with
> those mixed
> progressive frames, though I used to tend to switch from
> auto-detect
> to interlaced manually on those shows out of habit.
> The Interlaced x2
> deinterlacer however stuttered on NBC content due to
> deinterlacing
> being constantly enabled and disabled.  The only way
> to get around
> that without having to manually switch from auto-detect to
> interlaced
> would be with the change I described here:
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/376922#376922
>
> I doubt that anything like that is in Jean-Yves Avenard's
> versions though.
>
> Tom
In my NVidia Settings utility, I have selected 60Hz for the refresh rate, but the display settings show it as 59.87Hz.  This seems to be auto detected from my monitor.  Since I'm watching NTSC video which has a frame rate of 29.97Hz, shouldn't my monitor refresh rate be an integral multiple of 29.97?  2 x 29.97 = 59.94 (not 59.87).  Could this be the cause of my frame timing issues.  Some googling has led me to some information on configuring custom mode lines in my xorg.conf file to adjust this.  Does this seem like it will help any?

I had looked at a wiki (or some other documentation) somewhere about the Jean-Yves Avenard's versions, and got a bit scared off by some of the warnings about needing to change the video drivers and there was no going back, etc.  I may end up going that route (for Bobx2 and perhaps VDPAU), but until I understand the cause of my problem a bit better, I may end up with the same result.  I want to understand how and why doing something will improve things before just doing it, especially if there's no going back if things don't work out.

Jay