[mythtv-users] Getting into HD

Doug Young goofdad at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 19:46:49 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 9:57 AM, Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 09:48 -0700, Ian Forde wrote:
>
>> You're better off running RCA cables to an analog capture card
>
> Since the subject for this thread is "getting into HD", this technique
> will not work for the original poster. You can't do HD over analog, it
> requires a digital tuner. The only options I am aware of that can do HD
> are the HD-PVR, firewire, HDHomerun, or a DVB card. If I'm wrong about
> that, I'd love to hear about it!
>
> Granted, lots of people do confuse HD and digital. HD requires digital,
> digital does not necessarily imply HD.

And I'd say that the subject is misleading.  From the OP:

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 10:30 AM, James Pifer <jep at obrien-pifer.com> wrote:
> So if I get digital cable, is there any way for me to record these
> channels with mythtv? I don't even want them in HD quality since none of
> my frontends can even do it.

So my understanding is that we're talking capturing from a STB, but
capturing SD Quality for now.

James, here's what I did.  I have Comcast Cable in my area, and
they've gone all digital recently.  I have 2 STB (Motorolla 3000's)
which I control via firewire, but which give me -no- usable channels
over the firewire (not even locals...they're all encrypted).  So, for
now, I set them to 480p, and use s-video out the back to feed into my
pvr-x50's.  Eventually, I hope to get an HD-PVR or two, at which point
I will feed the STB's into the HD-PVR's to record at 1080p.  At that
point, I may take Comcast up on their "free" DTA box offer, and keep
the pvr-x50's around for conflict resolution on local channels, but
that's debatable.  For now, I have a system that works.  I'm easing
into the HD thing, each year changing it up to be closer and closer to
the eventual goal of full HD.  I think my next step may be a diy
projector, but I'm not 100% sure yet ;-).
--
Doug