[mythtv-users] surround sound to stereo output?

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 01:42:14 UTC 2009

> [snip]

> If you haven't already, try launching alsamixer
> from a terminal and see if there is a 'stereo' or '5.1' or '7.1'
> option that you can toggle. The front L+R channels would normally be
> the same channels used for stereo mode so you shouldn't need to move
> your plug. Report back if this is your fix.
> --
> ~pAul.

[snip]

I've tried this in the past, and just to be sure, I just tried it again.
There doesn't seem to be a way to toggle this setting from within
ALSAMIXERGUI, Gnome Mixer, or the CLI version of alsamixer.  I would assume
that at some level, there is a text file or two that I can edit to change
this setting, but the googles have done nothing to help me, and I'm not sure
where to look next.  I apreciate the help, but I'm afraid I've gotten no
further.  If there isn't a universal fix to this problem, I'd be happy if I
could at least make this work from within Myth; is such a thing possible?
Unfortunately, the vast majority of sound problems I've seen discussed on
this list and other areas concern the exact opposite of what I'm trying to
do, but the reverse of the solutions I've seen so far do not help me.  What
can I do next?

Thanks,

Josh