[mythtv-users] improve upscaling quality?

Jeff junk_inbox at verizon.net
Wed Apr 22 20:23:57 UTC 2009

> > But for SD content over DVB-C, my crappy DVB-C receiver I got from my
> > provider gives a lot better picture/motion quality. (It can upscale to
> > 1080i).
> > Though, when comparing HD channels I see very little difference...
> > MythTV with VDPAU does quite a good job here!

I didn't see you mention anywhere the resolution and/or bitrate that the SD
recordings were captured with, nor the capture card/method.

I find that SD upscaled on my C2D 2200 frontend to a 21.6" LCD connected via
HDMI->DVI cable (1680x1050) look decent from a few feet away.  Granted, HD
programs look much better. basically photo quality, but SD doesn't look
anywhere near as bad to me as what you're describing.

(Note: That's an 0.21-fixes box, last updated about a month ago - if you
need an exact revision or playback profile settings, I'll check later
tonight!)

J-e-f-f-A