[mythtv-users] Samsung PS50A550 and Asus M3N78-VM HDMI Sound (Debian MythtTV)

Jongi jongitech at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 12:12:23 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-01 at 17:05 -0700, Doug Young wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 3:06 PM, John Andrunas <john at andrunas.net> wrote:
> > You likely need to update ALSA I believe 1.0.19 is the first version
> > that supported audio over HDMI for Nvidia, I have Asus M3-N78-Pro and
> > that is what I had to do.
>
> since HDMI is showing up on your aplay -l, I'm actually assuming OP is
> running alsa 1.0.19 (as that wouldn't show up on my machine
> otherwise).  Check out Allen's Digital Audio Howto
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/AllensDigitalAudioHowto
>
> I'm running that same mobo, and I got it to work following Allen's
> instructions (although I had to update to version 907 of the BIOS)

I have /var/lib/mythtv/.asoundrc that looks like the below on my Debian
install

   pcm.!default {
       type hw
       card 0
       device 3
   }

When I use mplayer, sounds comes through the TV with no problem. What do
I need to set for the Internal player to play sound through the HDMI?

I have gone into the frontend setup and changed ALSA:default to
ALSA:hw:3. Have I got that wrong?