[mythtv-users] transcoding H.264 for slower frontends

John Taylor john at vetsurgeon.org.uk
Wed Apr 22 09:12:25 UTC 2009

I have a diskless frontend based on an M10k- works brilliantly for standard TV

Here in the UK, BBC have recently started broadcasting FTA HD
typically at a resolution of 1440x1080i, and encoded in H.264/MPEG-4
AVC

Obviously this is too much for my little M10000, but I would like to
transcode to MPEG-2 and offload it to the the built in hardware
decoder which has a max resolution of 1024x768 think)

Experimentation with ffmpeg has got me nothing but jerky video; best
results so far:

ffmpeg -i infile.mpg -s 1024x768 -r 25 -b 6000000 -acodec copy -map
0.0:0.0 -map 0.1:0.1 -f mpegts outfile.mpg

Any help appreciated- I would like to transcode the original file so
it will still play in the myth internal player

John