[mythtv-users] Inconsistent treatment of starttime/endtime vs runtime

Rob Smith mythtv-users at kormoc.com
Wed Apr 22 01:00:25 UTC 2009

f-myth-users[at]media.mit.edu wrote:
> I wish I could think of a clean way to indicate that the claimed
> runtime doesn't match the scheduled slot

So, I feel I should step in and add my weight to the thread, as a
developer and someone who is familiar with TMS's data.

This really is not a solution, as that runtime field is un-related to
the actual network info. It's purely a generic time TMS gives movies
(as Nick has already pointed out). It also fails to take into account
the different 'cuts' of the movie (TNT might cut it differently then
FX, or HBO), and doesn't take into account any breaks (Commercial or
otherwise).

You have the problem of TV 'cuts' of Dos Boot having a duration of 2
hours but a listed time of 8 hours. It's a extreme case, but it
demonstrates why this isn't correct.

See for more info:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/379839#379839
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/379873#379873

Does this make sense on why this isn't a valid solution for the
majority of people?

Thanks,
~Rob